Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Oh-So-Not-Trite Subject


In July of 2008, the Washburn-Doughty Shipyard in East Boothbay, Maine was engulfed by fire which for a while even threatened the whole village. It was such a complete disaster that it made the national news. The next day the ruins were still smoldering when I decided to document the biggest historical event that had happened in town since WWII.


I had painted their buildings so often that I felt compelled to paint them one last time. The tangled wreckage was conveniently composed of the complementary colors blue and orange. Everyone was talking about the haunting stairway to nowhere and the remains of two sea-going tugs that were being constructed on the property, so I moved them closer together in the painting. I think I captured the essence of the conflagration's aftermath.


As I've said before, sometimes you paint things because you must, not because they're saleable. You can paint anything if you want to....no subjects should be off limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment