Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hometown Subjects



The Gateway East Artists Guild in Illinois asked me to do a demo for their monthly meeting this week and requested a St. Louis scene. Here is what developed.


When depicting a well known tourist spot, the temptation is to put everything into focus, in this case the bridge, the tug and the Arch. But I decided that would create too many focal points. So I focused on the tug/barge, using the bridge as a frame, and the skyline, including the Arch. as one big silhouetted shape. The hint of the Arch locates the scene but doesn't take it over.


Afterall, I'm painting a painting, not a postcard. Rather than non-fiction, I wanted poetry.


Thanks to the wonderful members of the GEAG! I enjoyed the evening sharing what I've learned over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment