Saturday, November 6, 2010

Another Take


Last spring, I painted this scene for the Gateway East Artists Guild at their monthly meeting.  This morning I decided to try it in another, less traditional style.  Values are still important, but this painting's emphasis is on the bolder colors and looser brush strokes.  I think there is a bit more energy in this version. 

This style is actually harder to paint than the more traditional approach.  But every once in a while, I like to cut loose! Inventive color takes even more planning than local colors.   I actually reversed the ordinary practice of placing cooler colors in the background and warmer colors in the foreground.  Encourage your sense of play, and try all sorts of approaches to the same subject.  It is very freeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment