Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Elements of Design - Texture

Using a little bit of texture provides my paintings with some relief in areas that are just a bit too smooth and boring.  In my case, texture is either splatter, calligraphy or dry brush, and it usually can be found in the foreground.  But it should still be located in a small area to form a kind of shape or a line.  Randomly  placing texture everywhere in a painting will diminish its effectiveness.

Sorry I've been away for a while.  I suffered through a weekend of toothache pain and had an emergency root canal yesterday.  Painting and blogging went to the bottom of my priorities while the pain in my mouth took over my life!

I have a workshop with students in the Columbia, Missouri area this upcoming weekend.  Will post photos during that time!

No comments:

Post a Comment