Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Through the Looking Glass


On location on the the third day of my workshop, I looked at the gazebo on Boothbay Common and noticed the town office building across the street.  I thought it would be fun to look through the gazebo at the building. Framing things with objects in the foreground that the viewer has to peek around or through is an old photographer's trick, useful when designing painting compositions, too.

Remembering yesterday's lesson, I decided to work in contrasting colors of blue and orange.  Figures always give scale and life to a landscape, so I included a happy couple under the gazebo, which is slightly off center.  To add interest to the right side of the background, I carved out a tree by painting the negative space around it.

What a great bunch of kids in my workshop this week!  So eager and ready to give it the old college try!

No comments:

Post a Comment