Thursday, January 26, 2012

Stomp 'n' Holler


It doesn't happen as often these past few years, but every once in a while I'll have a Stomp 'n' Holler Day.  The painting not only goes badly, it goes so badly that I lose my temper, holler in frustration and stomp on the nasty thing I've just created.  (This technique is also helpful in chasing curious onlookers away!)

My birthday was Monday, it was a beautiful day, and I had hoped that I would paint a good painting to commemorate my special day.  It was not to be.  The first painting was tight and the color was lacking dominance.  In the afternoon I tried again, but the humidity didn't allow for any drying time and the paint just kept spreading.  Stomp #2!

We all have these days.  The desired result is firmly in our mind, but circumstances or lack of focus or some fool painting muse or other puts the hex on our efforts.  We're convinced we don't know anything about painting and that we'll never be able to paint anything good again.

But after a few days the itch comes back, and out I go again.  Yesterday things went better.  This is the memorial near the library in Apalachicola.  Sometimes simpler really is better!

No comments:

Post a Comment