Monday, November 19, 2012

Editing Your Reference Photo


Ram Lighthouse is located off Ocean Point in East Boothbay, Maine.  I took the reference photo while taking a ride on a party boat.  In the photo, however, there is another building between the keeper's house and the lighthouse.  With three structures for the viewer to look at, I was afraid the focal point would be unclear.  I also wanted the keeper's house to be the main focal point, so by slightly enlarging it, I kept the lighthouse as a subordinate.  The lighthouse conveys location, but the light on the house and island is my real concern.

The right side of the composition was a little bare, so I re-located the other building, showing only the roof.
Adding a small pine tree acted as an eye stopper.

In planning your composition, feel free (and obligated!) to rearrange, edit, and enlarge elements to achieve the maximum impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment