Thursday, August 14, 2014

Sketching For the Fun of It




This summer I've been teaching a private student about the elements of drawing.  That has inspired me to get my sketchbook out again.  I love the quiet study, sitting in an Adirondack chair on my dock here in Maine, sketching my cove or my back yard.  Today I went to my weekly happy hour at Robinson's Wharf a bit early so I could sketch some of the lobster boats tied up to the dock.  When I was finished, my friends introduced me to the captain of the lobster boat I had sketched.    My easel and my sketchbook have opened a door to the local fishermen that wouldn't have happened without putting pencil and paint to paper.

Be willing to put yourself out there to the locals around you.  It's a reward beyond money and official praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment