Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas!



I spent my Christmas Eve sketching the value study for the painting of St. Mark's Plaza in Venice that I will do today.  It's from my collection of slides I took in Europe many years ago.  The lacy quality of the buildings and the big shadow from the bell tower attracted my interest.

One more advantage of doing a value study before you paint is that it gives you a chance to think about color choices.  Since the sun is behind the buildings, I decided that the sky should be a gradation of yellow.  That choice leads me to think that the complement of yellow--violet--should be featured in the silhouette of the architecture.  That contrast will enliven both colors.

I'll keep the details in the interior shape of the cathedral to a minimum.  The abstract shapes of the piece are then emphasized and the color should further carry the day.

What a happy way to spend my Christmas day while the turkey is in the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment