Sunday, October 16, 2016

Overcoming Obstacles



I had set up my easel in a parking spot behind my car to paint this scene on Pleasant Street in Newburyport, Massachusetts.  I was in the middle of my first wash when a woman in a very large SUV pulled up and told me that I was taking up a prime parking spot and that I should move.  I asked her if I were a car who had gotten there before she did, would she ask me to move?  Eventually, though, I gave in and moved my easel next to my trunk.  She thanked me for compromising.  I explained that she had now completely blocked my view of the street.  No response.

I was very angry and considered leaving.  But I finally thought that since I was there, I might as well try to continue. 

The silhouettes of the buildings could still be seen.  The problem became the street.  I reminded myself that I would still have had the same problem even without the SUV blocking my view.

I solved it with the figures.  The long morning shadows dramatically depicted the light and gave life to a large area that would have been empty otherwise. 

 It helps to have a long repertoire of objects, figures and architectural features to draw upon when faced with compositional problems.  This can only come from years of experience.  Your sketchbook also comes in handy at these moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment