Thursday, March 2, 2017

Painting in a Series # 2



Yesterday I posted about my affinity for lacy things against the light of the sky.  Here's another painting I did that that reflects that attraction.  I was standing on the lawn of the Topside Inn in Boothbay Harbor, Maine, and couldn't resist the look of the masts and rigging of a ship down at the shipyard.  I consciously decided to blur the textures in the foreground foliage to keep your eye from focusing on it, detracting from the focal point of the rigging.

Again, once you identify what you like to look at, a series becomes possible.  I often talk about my annual return to Maine as the state of "getting my eyes back."  When hunting for subject matter, I revert to going back to some favorite painting sites.  But it's usually the case that I find a color, texture, weather condition, or some idea that I've had before that makes the scene new again.  Pay attention to your surroundings, and let your eyes tell your heart what you should paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment