Thursday, July 27, 2017

Studies



Yesterday, the Plein Air Painters of Maine (PAPME) painted at Shipbuilders Park in East Boothbay.  Not wanting to miss the comraderie of painting with my friends, I decided to go despite not wanting to paint at that location.  Instead, I brought the drawing of the birch tree and the day lily.  My friends were intrigued, because they said I was basically painting from memory. 

But the memory wasn't just of the actual tree and day lily.  The memory I was working from was the sketch I did of the scene.  A preliminary look at the object you want to paint involves doing a study that requires a detailed observation.  It also makes the painting procedure easier because you have already studied the shapes and made the compositional decisions ahead of time.

Study, compose, remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment