Friday, August 11, 2017

the Color Continues



Hendrick's Head Lighthouse has been a favorite subject for me over the years.  After a while, though, any subject can become an exercise in repetitive and trite expression.  But in this, my summer of color, I am expanding my choices of colors to include hues that are more inventive and less literal. 

I used masking tape to protect the white areas of the lighthouse and the structures on the bell tower.
I chose to make the sky and the water areas warm in color, while contrasting them with the more neutral colors on the rocks.   

Once again the wet-into-wet blending of colors was the fun part of the first wash, both in the sky, the water and then the rocks.  In the past, I would have been timid about the values and the colors, but this summer, everything goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment