Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Wait For It



Yesterday the surf was up, and I was determined to paint it.  I went to Boothbay Shores where I knew the surf would be good. 

The problem is always not to have a preconceived idea about what your subject will look like.  I had thought that I would depict the waves crashing against the rocks.  But when I arrived on location, the rocks didn't really appeal to me.  I also thought there wouldn't be enough interest.

While I was thinking about the possibilities, a lobster boat with its stabilizer sail set came by to haul traps.  Forget the rocks!  I just needed the conflict of the boat and the rough sea.

One year at the same spot, I was pondering what to paint when a woman came by walking her dog. As we were talking, a flock of geese flew by overhead.  Then I had my scene!  Lady, dog, path, and geese.

So my suggestion is when you're not sure what to paint while on location, wait for something to happen, and let that inspire you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment