Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Post Plein Air



I've been re-adjusting to life in St. Louis, and have barely had time to think about painting.  But here's one I did based on a photo taken in New Brunswick, Canada of a lighthouse at Cape Enrage.

For a subject like this one, strong color would not be appropriate for the mood I wanted to convey.  I had to depend upon values to project the moonlit Bay of Fundy.

Mixing darks takes LOTS of pigment.  Do NOT skimp on paint when portraying dark values.  I mixed the darks on the paper to avoid a flat black. I glazed over an underpainting of green because moonlight has a green essence.  Violet is a warm counterpoint to the green, so I also applied that pigment to the dark area of the cliffside. I also softened the circle depicting the moon to imply a misty feel to the scene.

Inventive color is fun to play with, but it must be used to transmit a mood.  Neutrals are best to convey a more somber mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment