Thursday, January 18, 2018

Avoiding the Literal

The design and composition considerations should always take precedence over the literal in your interpretation of a scene.  Choosing which elements attracted you in the first place should determine where to place them so that they become the focal area.  Select what to leave in and what to omit when working from photographs.

Here is a photo of a dock scene in Port St. Joe.




I felt that too much attention was on the woodwork.  I wanted to emphasize the fish signs.  I completely eliminated the background roofs.  Then I added a separate pole for the light, creating another vertical.  I subtracted some of the parallel boards.  I shifted the fish so that they were mainly on the thirds. I used one of the ropes to rhyme with the vertical poles.    Here's the result.



No comments:

Post a Comment