Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Lacey Stuff



Rainy Day In Old Orchard Beach


The thing that attracted me in this scene was the lacey quality of the lampposts and telephone poles against the sky.  After I had the shapes of the buildings down, I painted the wet road and the reflection of the cars.  When everything was dry, it was time to put in the lampposts.  The top of the lamppost was rendered by holding the brush almost like a pencil.  The pole was created with a quick downward stroke.  I've found that the slower the stroke, the wavier the line.  Slow strokes seem to shout hesitation and timidity.  I know it's scary, but practice it on another piece of paper.  

The telephone poles on the right have a lacey look that I like.  I used a dry brush to keep them from looking too static.  Again, speed up the stroke.  

The textures of the dark poles against the quieter, simpler shapes of the buildings and the sky create a nice contrast.  The wet-in-wet softness of the reflections contrasts nicely with the sharper hard edged poles.

No comments:

Post a Comment