Saturday, April 6, 2019

Shapes First, Details Last

                                 Rainy Day in Waldoboro
It was the silhouetted shape of the building that attracted my attention.  Most of my interest centered on the interlocking shape of the rooftop with the sky.  

So, first I painted the big shape of the building.  After that, the road and the far background.  The figures were next and had to be dark enough to stand out from the building.  

Now a major decision.  How much detail did I want on the building?  I didn't want windows and doors and dormers to compete with the figures,  the wet street and the reflections.  So I only hinted at a few windows. 

The foliage was done with a fan brush and provides a frame for the major focal points.

Knowing what to leave out is as important as choosing what to include.  Remember, it's the big shapes that will tell the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment