Friday, May 24, 2019

The Value of Shadows

                                     Liberty Farm

Objects in shadow and the cast shadows of object are valuable tools in depicting sunlight in a dramatic fashion.

This barn in Boothbay, Maine is silhouetted and in shadow.  The shadows that are cast by the fence, trees and barn help portray the sunlight.  They also show the contours of the land that they fall on.  

It is vitally important to connect the darks to form shapes and keep them from being isolated.

I'll say it again:  have plenty of pigment at the ready to make really dark shadows.  Also, be bold in your application.  If you have to go back over a shadow area, you'll lose some of the juiciness and purity of the paint.  Don't be afraid!  Put it down dark enough and then leave it!

I'm off for my summer in Maine.  I may get to paint on the way, or sketch at some of my scheduled stops.  I look forward to sharing the results of my painting effort throughout the summer.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment