Friday, September 20, 2019

The Hazards and Rewards of Plein Air Painting



Day 4 of my watercolor workshop in Boothbay Harbor.  The class went to Newagen's Town Landing.  It was overcast, and halfway through my demo, it started to shower.  I kept painting, though, but you can see the raindrops on the painting.  After I finished, we went to lunch, and returned to the dock. The sun came out and the students had good painting weather once again.

While I was painting, I told a story about a man who emerged from the trees on the island across from us about 15 years ago.  He was pushing a refrigerator and finally flipped it end over end down a ramp to the float at low tide.  He then put it in a dinghy, rowed across the cove to the Newagen Inn dock and proceeded to flip it end over end up the very steep ramp.  I said it was "ridiculous.  Just then I heard a male voice behind us say, "Well, not as ridiculous as someone painting a watercolor in the rain."  Turns out it was Refrigerator Man himself!  We all got a good laugh and funny memory out of that!

Also, the red house in the background was owned by Margaret Hamilton, the Wicked Witch of the West in "The Wizard of Oz."

Join us next September for more stories and laughs like this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment