Thursday, October 24, 2019

Starting Up Again

                                   "Wharfside #3"

After a month of not painting and re-adjusting to life in St. Louis, I finally got my brushes wet again.  It's a bit intimidating after such a long break, and there's a bit of fear that maybe I've lost my mojo.  How to solve that problem?

I decided that I would pick up where I left off with a dockside scene.  Familiarity breeds confidence!

Color choice became my first and major concern.  I resorted to a tried and true process that I used many times this summer.  I chose to make my focal point a warm pinkish tone.  That meant that my first wash - the sky- would provide a complementary cool hue that leaned toward a greenish blue.  

Continuing with the warm tones under the dock further provided a contrast with the neutral blues in the water.

Sorry for the long absence.  I hope to be posting some more paintings on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment