Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Cool Colors


Lately I have been tending towards a warm color palette.  But yesterday I decided to play with cool colors.  I put down the first wash and then walked away.  This morning I got up and started picking around and came up with this painting.

Notice, though, that the variety of cool blues and greens that dominate are balanced with a touch of warmer colors.  I've never been able to completely manage a totally analogous painting.  I always need a hint of a complementary color, either as a pure area or a neutralized gray.  So you'll see a hint of warmth in the clouds and a hint of yellow ochre and reddish purple on the ground.

Try a painting of mostly analogous colors, adding only a hint of the complementary.  And step out of your color habits.  Safety often makes for boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment