Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Taking Pleasure In Study

                                   Bad Kreuznach, Germany

More and more, I take great pleasure in preparing to paint.  Value studies are one way to ramp up my confidence and enthusiasm for the painting ahead.  Pencil in hand, I can make decisions about how to guide the viewer's eyes around the paper.  I also like the feel of the pencil against the page. 

Here's a view of the little German town where I taught high school English back in the '70's.  The silhouette is pleasing to me with the spires jutting up into the sky.  I also enjoy thinking about how to indicate the background with very little detail.  Now I can think in terms of color, trying out combinations in my head. 

Take time to prepare, and your painting process will be much more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment