Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Trees--Color, Intervals and Size



This was the first day of my workshop here in Boothbay Harbor.  After some introductory studies on shapes, especially cylinders, we caravanned to Knickercane Island for a lesson on trees.

As I drew the trees, I was conscious of the size of the trunks and tried to vary them.  The oblique second tree breaks up the vertical lines of the other trees.  And varying the intervals between the trees was also a consideration.

I also left out several trees that were really there.  If you don't believe me, ask my students!

Painting the trees I was also aware of choosing different base colors for each tree.  Nothing is more boring than dark brown trunks.  I painted the masses of foliage before I painted the trunks, too.

I once told my high school students who asked me if I believe in heaven, All I know is, if there aren't any trees, I ain't going!

No comments:

Post a Comment