Saturday, April 13, 2019

Shapes First, Details Last Part 2



This is a scene in my second hometown, Boothbay Harbor, Maine.  I'm already in countdown mode until I return for my fortieth summer there.

In this painting, I limited my palette to various shades of red, blue and neutrals.  Follow the roofline and you'll see that I found ways to make the shapes of the buildings varied.  The figures help break up the otherwise straight bottoms of the buildings.

Once again, don't get in a hurry to fill in the details.  I'm including a photo of the halfway point in the process to emphasize this point.

The best way to say bright sunlight is to make the shadows dark and in one pass to keep the color from getting muddy.  Be brave!

By the way, my workshop in Boothbay Harbor will be Sept. 9  - 13.  If interested, contact me at 
caroljessen@yahoo.com   or call me at 314-706-6333.  More information to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment