Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Landscapes



Sky, trees, fields, and only hints of buildings.  Landscapes depend less upon straight lines and more upon curved lines and irregular shapes.  

In this landscapes size is important as well.  The receding trees are smaller and less defined in the interior.  I tried to vary the shapes of the trees in the foreground and concentrated on making them three dimensional by emphasizing the sunlit and shadow sides.  And the foreground shadow keeps your eye from wandering off the bottom of the page.

I painted one summer in Cornwall, England.  During the last part of my stay, I rented a car and drove around the Cotswolds and Wales.  I spotted this little village in the Cotswolds and stopped to sketch it.  But I just got around to painting it this morning.

I painted this in 45 minutes.  Remember:  You're not coloring inside the lines; you're painting! Except for the church belfry, the other buildings are only hinted at.  So let your brush fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment