Thursday, May 22, 2014

Demo



For the workshop instructor, demos are part of the job.  People like to see the process and how a painting unfolds.  Last night I was invited to give a demo at the monthly meeting of the St. Louis Watercolor Society.  There was a very receptive audience in attendance, and I enjoyed myself immensely.  I love teaching and making people laugh!  But sometimes all that talking can distract from the painting thought process.  Last night I felt like the painting did not meet my expectations.

So this morning I got up and re-painted the same composition.  I tried to remember to keep the shapes simple, and not get so involved with too many color changes.  Also I felt that the first wash last night was a bit timid, so I was determined to make the first color and value application bolder in the re-do.

The best advice is a bit of a cliché, but it still applies:  Keep It Simple, Stupid.  K.I.S.S. Stay with your larger brushes longer and avoid the temptation to put in details too early. 

Happy Splashing!

No comments:

Post a Comment