Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Rule of Thirds



In this painting of Nubble Lighthouse in York, Maine,  I was very conscious of the rule of thirds.  The foreground rocks form the dominant third; the grassy areas and sky form the other two thirds. The light is on the vertical third.  It is balanced by the small outbuilding and telephone pole. 

The color scheme is primarily the complements of red and green.  The textures are more notable in the foreground rocks, less noticeable in the grassy slopes and basically absent in the sky.  I could have chosen to put in clouds, but that additional texture would have distracted the viewer's eye. 

Can you tell I'm getting amped up for my return to Maine?  Come to my September workshop in Boothbay Harbor and see more beautiful scenes like this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment