Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Take Along Your Sketchbook



When I'm on vacation, I always take my sketchbook everywhere.  Lunchtime is a perfect time to make a record of where you've visited.  While  waiting for my food down by the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs yesterday, I took advantage of the view from my table.  Rather than trying to include the whole harbor, I zeroed in on the reason for the docks: the sponges. 

First I drew lines to indicate the direction of the string of sponges.  Then I carefully drew some of the individual sponges while suggesting the outlines of other strings.  The values and details fade the farther they are from the focal point.

I still maintain that drawing and painting focus your attention from a casual glance to an intense study of your subject.  So take that sketchbook with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment