Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Iconic Places



This is the Boothbay Harbor Memorial Library, right in the center of town.  Today the Plein Air Painters of Maine painted on the library lawn. 

The problems presenting themselves in this painting were several.  I arrived early to get the right light and shadows.  I also had to eliminate a tree and add some people to give the scene some life.

When I was about halfway finished, tourists started coming by and photographing my painting.  Then, a young black couple arrived in their wedding garb with a minister and two official witnesses to preside over the ceremony.  I was so close that I felt like a bride's maid!

 Technical problems again presented themselves.  Perspective, big shapes, color, and the addition of people were decisions I made before the brush hit the paper.  And being right in the center of tourist country, you have to deal with people who want to connect with the artist.  Sometimes I feel like I'm a representative for the Chamber of Commerce!

But get out there and take a chance.  Painting on the spot will only sharpen your drawing and painting skills.   Never mind the curious bystanders.  Most people are impressed that you're willing to put yourself out there, and they know they can't do what you're attempting to do.  Have fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment