Friday, January 29, 2016

Working from Photographs





Here is a photo I took on St. George Island on the Florida Panhandle.  I liked the figure of the surf fisherman, and thought it would make a good painting.  My first attempt was more or less a copy of the photo, and was a miserable failure.  The figure was large, and the surf was confusing.  I decided to de-emphasize the figure and concentrate on the surf in the second painting. 

I placed the figure on the thirds and simplified the surf. I used some other source material for the surf. I also decided that the sky was too flat and formed an uninteresting rectangle, so I added some tension with the storm clouds approaching.   

Lesson?  Don't be tied to the composition or details in a photo.  Move things, combine things, change colors, anything to aid the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment