Saturday, February 23, 2019

Moving Subjects



While deciding what to paint at this location on Anna Maria Island, Florida, pigeons kept congregating around my easel.  I liked their shapes and markings, so I decided to paint them.  Getting the overall silhouette right was most of the problem.  Then trying to depict the markings was the next challenge.  After that, the placement and number of birds to include became a consideration.  I decided to rely on the old tried and true number three, as well as leaving different intervals between the birds.  Giving them different poses provided much needed variety as well.

Trying to paint moving objects requires patience and prolonged study.  I looked at the strutting pigeons for half an hour before attempting the drawing.  First the shapes, then the poses, then the intervals. 

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment