Monday, February 25, 2019

Receding/Repeating



 
My friend Connie took me to a small park overlooking the bay to watch the sunset one evening.  I immediately gravitated to the gumbo limbo trees.  The next day I returned to paint them. 

Overlapping and repeated shapes help the scene recede.  I also noticed the change in color of the two trees.  And of course, the second tree appears thinner which also suggests that it is receding.

The two figures are there to break up the space and give the painting some life.  I used red on one shirt to help draw your eye over to them. The dock acts as a pointer.  The sidewalk also recedes because the area reduces in size as it goes back.  Perspective, therefore, is needed to help with the illusion of receding space.

Someone once asked me if I really think about all these things when I paint or if it's intuitive and I only reflect on them afterwards.  I always have words in my head while I paint.  Deliberation starts with knowledge, and knowledge applied results in deliberate action.  Think while you paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment