Friday, March 14, 2014

More Complementery Colors



This time I decided to use red and green.  The greens and its grayed down relatives would be dominant; the reds would be subordinate.  The warm colors are in the focal area.

Study the foliage area and you'll see that I graduated from red to orange to yellow to green and then a grayed down green.  I painted the trunks by painting the negative space behind them.  The line dominance is curvilinear with the verticals subordinate.  The biggest value contrast is near the trees and on the foreground trees  I kept the waterfall and the surrounding area close in value so your eye would still go to the trees.

And, yes, I really did think about these things before I began to paint!  It really is okay to plan as much as you can before your brush hits the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment