Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Re-Thinking an Old Subject




While trying to come up with a subject to paint, I ran across this painting that I did in the Catskill Mountains this past fall.  I decided to take a completely different approach to the subject, minimalizing the shapes, removing details, and concentrating on color as the subject.  I started with complementary colors--blue and orange--and then worked on values.  I saved some areas of the pure colors while neutralizing the complements in others. 

Take an old painting and try a new approach.  Use color differently, or line or texture. Play soft edges against hard edges.  Try a high key or a low key. Switch format or size. And have fun!

1 comment:

  1. I really love the idea of repainting or revisiting an older painting and redoing it. I've actually found that I learn so much by redoing the same painting in a different way!!

    ReplyDelete