Friday, June 14, 2019

Dominance and Complementary Color



                                        Southport Trappings

When I first spotted this float, it was the lone green buoy that caught my eye.  When I painted the scene however, I was thinking in terms of complementary colors.

The dominant color is blue.  The complement of blue is orange.  Brown is a dirty orange!

First I painted the contents of the float.  Then I painted the water which gradated to subtle tones in the foreground ripples.  And last, I painted the reflections.  The very dark values of the reflections are connected to the midtone ripples so as not isolate the reflection of the float. 

Blue dominates, but the warmth on the float helps exaggerate the feeling of sunlight.

Don't forget my September 9-13 workshop here in Boothbay Harbor, Maine.  

P.S.  Is anybody out there?  I have 86 followers, but rarely get more than two likes to let me know that my blog is being read.  It's a little discouraging.


No comments:

Post a Comment