Saturday, June 1, 2019

Traveling Artist

                                    Jackson Falls

Eagle Mountain 

My sketchbook is a way to gather information for future paintings, but it also acts as a visual diary of my trip. I love remembering the scenes, the sounds, the people I meet, and the light.  When I take a photo, the time spent at the site is minimal.  Sketching takes a bit of time and a lot of concentration on the scene.   Later, all the details come flooding back, and I can re-live the memory.

 The weather in New Hampshire was not conducive to painting; it was rainy, then foggy, and pretty chilly.  My sketchbook provided a way to record a moment in a much more intense way than snapping a photo does.

Just down the road from my historic inn in Jackson are the cascading falls named for the town.  I sat at a picnic table for one sketch, and sketched from the car the first day.  The White Mountains were right out my window, and I also enjoyed sketching from the long veranda with its rocking chairs.
And the cog railroad passes through Crawford Notch where an old depot stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment