Wednesday, March 24, 2010

For the Love of Trees


In one of my past lives, I must have been a Druid. I love being in the same space with trees.
The reflective calm that comes over me in a forest is hard to match in any other setting.


Once in one of my English classes, some students asked if I believed in heaven. I answered, "All I know is that if there aren't any trees there, I ain't goin'!" I'm sure the more literal ones among them were greatly concerned for my immortal destination, but I was trying to make a point about serenity and beauty.


" I think that I shall never see/ A poem lovely as a tree" may be corny poetry, but it certainly speaks to the power of trees to soothe the savage breast.


P. S. Sadly, this spot no longer exists. Some fool bought the land and bull-dozed the entire forest so he could build a starter castle that he uses a couple of months a year. Now whose soul should we worry about?

No comments:

Post a Comment