Friday, March 5, 2010

Growth




I always tell students to save their old work in order to monitor their progress and growth. Changes in style, color choice, and looseness can readily be seen over a number of years.


If there is little change, that would also be informative.


Change for change's sake or a sudden style change chosen merely to impress critics or gallery owners can be seen not as an effort to explore possibilities, but rather as a strategy to garner attention. Better to evolve by studying your work and finding some aspect of it that you would like to push, to develop, to emphasize.


Here are two examples of my work. One is from twenty years ago, the other from last summer.


I have gradually decided not to slavishly replicate the colors of nature, but to choose a palette of brighter, purer colors. I think it's fairly obvious that I've also loosened up quite a bit. Edge quality has changed as well.


Anything else?

No comments:

Post a Comment