Thursday, April 8, 2010

Working In A Series


After I painted Franklin Town Square, I wanted to paint more town squares. I started with this very modified scene of the main street in Eufala, Alabama. I based it on the fountain, and for the sake of the painting, exaggerated the height of the buildings. There was a gazebo in the photo I took, but I didn't want it to compete with the fountain, so I reduced it to an umbrella.

You'll also notice that the bottom left edge of the fountain is blurred into the background. It is helpful to connect darks wherever posssible. That is the purpose of the dark figure in the foreground, too. Softening and gradating the hint of trees maintains the silhouette and creates a bit of mystery.

I'm going to look for other town squares to continue the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment