Monday, September 6, 2010

Complementary Colors


When looking for subject matter, it is helpful to know what makes your heart go pitti-pat.  In the past couple of years, I have been drawn to objects that have a lacy look against the sky.  In this street scene in Old Orchard Beach, Maine, it was the lamp posts and the telephone poles. 

It was a rainy day when I visited, so the photos I took were all gray.  That turned out to be an advantage because I could invent any colors that would come in aid of expressing the mood.  I chose yellow and violet to express the feeling of the brightening sky and the wet pavement. 

Placing complementary colors side by side intensifies both colors.  It is important to consider color choices that help establish the mood and express the feeling of light.

No comments:

Post a Comment