Thursday, August 9, 2012

Backyard Waterfall


It's a foggy afternoon here in Maine, but I still wanted to paint.  I got this idea while Googling places in the Finger Lakes to visit in October.

I started with the warms around the falling water.  Working outward, I went to warm greens and then to cool blues and purples.  Carving out the shape of the waterfall was the biggest step though.  The oblique shapes of the lower falls aid in creating movement.

Simplifying the water is the hardest part.  There's a temptation to define every single shadow and stripe in the rushing flow.  That would destroy the clean white shape that keeps the values crisp and the colors surrounding the falls pure.

I tried also to resist over defining the textures in the foliage.  The color was enough to create interest, and I didn't want to junk it up with too many details.

What's in your backyard?

No comments:

Post a Comment