Tuesday, February 18, 2014

In the Footsteps of the Masters



Last fall, I blogged from Chadd's Ford, Pennsylvania where I went to the Brandywine Museum to see the works of Andrew Wyeth.  While there, I also toured his studio and the Kuerner Farm where he painted.  Working from reference photos when I got home, I did my own version of the farm as it is today. 

Now I'm in Homosassa right on the river and creek where Winslow Homer painted.  There are even inexpensive prints of his work on the walls of my motel room.

I love to see the locations where great artists, especially watercolorists, painted their works.  When I was in Provence one summer, I was amazed to see that Vincent van Gogh didn't exaggerate the colors he saw.  In Venice, it was like walking the streets with John Singer Sargent.  And the hot lavenders of Joaquin Sorolla were everywhere in central Spain. And also last summer, I actually found John Pike's old studio and house.  Those woods looked awfully familiar!

One of these days, I'd like to see Georgia O'Keefe country.  Anybody game?

No comments:

Post a Comment