Thursday, August 29, 2019

Commissions


I'm happy and flattered when someone requests that I paint a certain scene.  They've seen my paintings and like my style, but the problem is usually they have a pre-conceived idea of what the painting will look like and what elements will be included.

Boat commissions are the worst.  Not being a sailor myself, at first I would omit certain gadgets and do-dads that were very important to the owner.  Eventually I learned quite a bit about the gear on a working vessel.

I also don't do portraits.  As John Singer Sargent said, "A portrait is something where there's always something wrong with the nose."

But a couple of days ago, I had a request to paint a subject I am very familiar with.  Grimes Cove at the beginning of Ocean Point is a favorite with local artists.  Yesterday I did a half sheet of the cove, emailed the image to the client, and she was most pleased!  

Things are beginning to slow down here in Maine.  Kids are back in school, so the families are gone.  The light has shifted, and there are plenty of parking spots downtown.  I love September in Maine.

Don't forget;  I still have openings in my workshop September 9th - 13th.  Contact me at
caroljessen@yahoo.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment