Thursday, August 22, 2019

"Do You Work From Photographs?"



The Cuckold's Light


Well, sort of.  But when I do, there's always an intermediate step: the value sketch.

That's the way I work out two important things: the design and the values.  

Here's an example.  This view of Cuckold's Lighthouse which is located on a ledge off shore can only be seen by boat.  Since I can't set up my easel on board a boat, I took a photo.  Today I used the photo to make the sketch, and then painted it this afternoon.

The value sketch provides another important advantage.  I'm not a slave to color.  I feel free to modify or invent color to come in aid of the painting.  Gray rocks become a warm area to contrast with the sky and water.  I also added the sailboat for balance.

Try the intermediate step when working from photos, and then paint from the sketch!

No comments:

Post a Comment