Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Change is Good


Here I am in Apalachicola, Florida. Actually I'm in Eastpoint, four miles across the bay from Apalach. Eastpoint is an oystering community with wharves, docks, wholesale seafood stores, and oyster and shrimp boats. There's just something about working docks that have always fascinated me.

In this painting, I gave myself two assignments: Choose a color other than blue for the sky, and maximize the value contrasts near the focal point. I could actually see all sorts of things under the roof, but chose to simplify the shadow area into one shape. Then I concentrated on making the shape interesting at the edges. Rectangles are dreadfully boring shapes, so look for ways to pop out an edge or cut into it. And don't forget the obliques!


No comments:

Post a Comment