Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Silhouette - St. Louis


While I'm on the subject of St. Louis, I thought I'd include this painting of the great man himself, the namesake of our fair city, that I did as a demo for one of my workshops. The statue is located in front of the St. Louis Art Museum in Forest Park.
The subject was silhouettes and negative spaces. My students were apprehensive about drawing the statue, so I pointed out that if they drew the negative spaces between the legs of the horse rather than thinking "legs" that the drawing would be easier. Then they could relate those lines to others. They surprised themselves with the accuracy of their efforts.

Not my finest composition, but another illustration of how the painter can say things simply with a silhouette.

No comments:

Post a Comment