Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Growth



Sometimes I go through the stack of my old paintings and cull the worst ones.  But I still hang on to some that I would never show publically.  It's good to see how far you've come in your painting journey. 

My first emphasis was on accuracy.  I strove to depict the landscape as it actually appeared.  But now I want to highlight other concerns.  Color is much more important as its own subject matter.  I'm much more aware of edge quality.  I move or entirely eliminate objects.  And I'm more conscious of  where I can place obliques.

If you want growth in your work, try concentrating less on portraying your subject as you find it, and more on the elements and principles. 

Here are two works I executed about several years apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment