Monday, June 10, 2013

A Day at the Shore



This is Ocean Point near Boothbay Harbor, Maine, where I live in the summertime.  Every year I do at least one obligatory surf and rocks painting.  Here's this year's offering. 

The underpainting was very important in setting the stage for the rocks.  By alternating cool and warm grays, it created a kind of alternation in the rocks.  Then I started adding mid tones and eventually the darks. 

A woman came by and asked if I was going to put in the lighthouse out on the island.  I explained that even though it would be very small, a man-made structure would immediately pull your attention away from the foreground subject matter, so I had chosen to omit it.  The painting is about the rocks and the surf.  The islands are there to speak to the space and distance as well as to stop the eye.  I don't think she was convinced!

No comments:

Post a Comment