Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Moving On



  Working on a series relieves the artist of the problem of thinking up a subject.  All that is needed is a variation on the subject.  That frees us to concentrate on other elements and principles.  Composition is also a variable to explore.

In this painting, I invented a scene so I could concentrate on abstract compositional elements.

1.  Line.  Obliques  direct the eye.  Also notice that I found ways to interrupt lines.  The far shoreline would be far more boring without the breaks created by the two rocks and the branch.

2.  Consider also the intervals in those interruptions.  Try to avoid equal spaces between those elements. 

3.  Textures.  I limited the textures to the tree and the area under the fallen tree.  The midground and background are simple shapes that gain their interest through color, not textures.

But all good things must come to an end.  I've decided that I'm going to move on from this series on driftwood.  The challenge is to think of another subject that will excite me.  Check in soon to see what I've settled on.

No comments:

Post a Comment